Guwahati: Amid the ongoing protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA), photos claiming to be from detention centres in Assam are doing the rounds on social media.
The photos show half-naked men cramped in a room. Write-ups posted along with the photos suggest that this is the status of illegal immigrants who are lodged in detention camps in Assam.
On fact-checking, it was found that the images are not from Assam, in fact, they are not even from India. According to an article in Eltiempo, a Colombian daily, one of the pictures is a stock image which shows ‘Prisoners in preventive La Romana’.
Meanwhile, PIB India also fact-checked the images and declared them as fake news.
Please do not fall prey to such fake news, and always believe information only from reliable sources.
- Meghalaya: TUR files defamation case against FB page, its admin
- Former US President Bill Clinton recovering from infection in hospital
- Rajasthan teacher held for raping 11-yr-old after girl dials child helpline for assistance
- Fuel price hike in Meghalaya: Local cabbies, residents face challenges
- Chhattisgarh: One killed, 16 injured as SUV runs over people during Durga idol procession
- JEE-Advanced 2021: Mridul Agarwal from Delhi zone bags top rank; Kavya Chopra tops among females