Tinsukia: Tension prevails in upper Assam’s Dibrugarh district after police resorted to lathicharge and blank firing to disburse protesters from National Highway 37 at Bokul on Wednesday morning.
According to sources, many people have been injured, including police personnel. “The protestors pelted stones when security forces tried to vacate the highway,” the sources added.
Meanwhile, an attempt by angry protestors to attack the office of the deputy commissioner in Tinsukia was foiled by alert security forces on Tuesday night.
Also Read: Rajya Sabha clears Citizenship Bill | LIVE
However, protestors managed to damage a light on the main gate and a Swacch Bharat hoarding placed outside the main gate of DC’s office.
According to sources, protestors burned tyres in front of the main gate.”The protestors shouted slogans including ‘Asomiya jaagi se jaagi bo’ (Assamese people have woken up),” they said.
On Wednesday, Tinsukia town remained closed for the third day in a row out of panic. This was despite any bandh call given by any organisation.
- Baba Ramdev offers his two cents on Assam CM’s ‘motherhood age’ remark
- No visible sign of spending of Centre’s package for tea workers: TMC union
- Odisha health minister shot at by cop in Jharsuguda dist, accused held
- Assam govt to make docu on Patharughat peasant uprising: CM
- New Songs Sunday: Pray It Away, You Only Love Me & more
- NGT refrains from imposing Rs 1,000 crore fine on Assam