Guwahati: Assam government has decided to suspend internet services from 7 pm on Wednesday to 7 pm on Thursday. This is being done as a preventive security measure amid massive protests and outrage that has engulfed whole of Guwahati and other parts of Assam. Army has been put on standby in the state.
“Mobile internet and data services of all mobile service providers would be prohibited from 7 pm of December 11 to 7 pm of December 12 in order to prevent misuse of the mentioned media to disturb the peace and tranquility of the state,” the notification issued by the state government said.
Internet services would remain suspended in the districts of Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Charaideo, Sivasagar, Jorhat, Golaghat, Kamrup (Metro) and Kamrup.
Meanwhile, Guwawhati continues to burn with clashes erupting between protesters and police. Heavy stone pelting is going on right outside the Assam Secretariat. Protesters have vandalised public properties, burnt buses and private vehicles. Protesters are on a rampage across Guwahati.
- Nagaland registers marginal rise in fresh COVID-19 cases
- Nagaland Congress to launch crusade against state govt
- Top seer Mahant Narendra Giri found dead at Allahabad Muth
- Nagaland: Centre earmarks Rs 20 Cr for rehabilitation of shifting cultivation
- 11 months on, mother-daughter duo in Bangladesh jail after crossing border to see tantric
- Yuvraj Singh’s NGO installs 50 CCU beds at Assam hospital