Guwahati: Assam finance minister Himanta Biswa Sarma was shown black flags during his visit to Diphu Medical College in Karbi Anglong on Tuesday.
As part of the ongoing 11-hour bandh in Northeast against the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill organised by umbrella students’ body North East Students’ Organisation (NESO), protesting members of the All Assam Students Union (AASU) of Karbi Anglong district committee showed black flags to the finance minister.
According to sources, the protesters were later taken to Diphu Police Station.
The controversial Citizenship (Amendment) Bill was passed in Lok Sabha a little after midnight on Monday with 311 ayes and 80 noes. It is likely to be tabled in Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
- Nagaland reports 145 new COVID-19 cases, 2 more deaths
- Prashant Kishor quits as Punjab chief minister’s principal advisor
- Assam produced 34 lakh kg of beef in 2019-20
- Meghalaya reports 521 new COVID-19 cases, 7 more deaths
- COVID-19 surge: Centre deploys multi-disciplinary team to Manipur
- Assam logs 1,065 new COVID-19 cases, 19 more deaths