Guwahati: Shishu Sarothi, a leading not-for-profit organisation based in Assam, celebrated the International Day of Persons with Disabilities on within its premises and at Central Mall in Guwahati on Tuesday.
This year, the theme of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities focused on the empowerment of persons with disabilities for inclusive, equitable and sustainable development as anticipated in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The programme, organised at Sishu Sarothi’s premises, saw children attending its Centre for Inclusive and Vocational Education (CIVE) and participating in recitation, dance and ‘Go As You Like’, which was followed by a cake-cutting ceremony.
The aim of the programme was to promote the idea of participation and leadership which is in line with the year’s theme of International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Later, in the day, staff members of Sishu Sarothi performed a street play at the city mall to promote inclusion. There was also a performance by the students of the physiotherapy department of Royal School of Medical and Allied sciences, Assam Royal Global University, Guwahati.
Established in 1987, Shishu Sarothi is a leading not-for-profit organisation working with a proven track record in the area of early intervention and rehabilitation, education, livelihoods, advocacy and awareness as well as protection of rights and legal aid for children and persons with disabilities in Northeast India.
- Man beaten to death on birthday in UP’s Bareilly
- Faith-based schools less favourable towards education of girls: UNESCO
- Centre must extend retirement age of ‘Agniveers’ to 65 years: Mamata
- Sri Lanka exploring options to purchase oil from Russia: Minister
- Arunachal: IFCSAP welcomes Droupadi Murmu’s selection as prez candidate
- Centre using its agencies against those speaking the truth: Mamata