Diphu: A school-going minor girl was allegedly raped by a civil society leader at Diphu town of Assam’s Karbi Anglong district recently.
As per sources, the accused, identified as Karbi United Council (KUC) president Hukumsing Teron, is a father of two children. A resident of Langmili area of Diphu town, Teron allegedly raped the 11-year old girl between November 17 and 23.
Surprisingly, the incident came to light after the victim revealed about it to her elder sister on November 24, following which her sister along with the villagers and village headman approached the women members of Karbi Nimso Chingthur Asong (KNCA) and Karbi Anglong Women Justice Forum (KAWJF) seeking for help.
Immediately after being apprised of the shocking incident, the women leaders of KNCA and KAWJF went to the Diphu police station and lodged an FIR under Sections 314/2019 U/S 376 IPC R/W of POCSO Act, 2012 against the accused.
As per statements recorded from the victim in the FIR, it was stated that the accused after committing the crime also threatened the minor girl of dire circumstances if she revealed it to someone.
Meanwhile, Diphu police accompanied by the women leaders of KNCA and KAWJF on Tuesday nabbed the accused from his residence at Diphu. He is currently under police custody.
Significantly, the women leaders along with the victim’s family have strongly condemned the crime and demanded stringent punishment for the accused as per law.
- India sees over 18K new COVID-19 cases, 160 deaths
- Humbling experience: Salma Hayek on playing superhero in her 50s
- Right to seek default’ bail indefeasible part of right to personal liberty: HC
- CoWIN can be customised, scaled up for health interventions: MEA official
- Sikkim reports 17 fresh COVID-19 cases, one new fatality
- Arunachal a goldmine for adventure tourism: Mountaineer Anshu Jamsenpa