Darjeeling: Darjeeling MP Raju Bista called upon Union minister for road transport & highways Nitin Gadkari on Thursday and discussed highway-related issues in Darjeeling region.
In a press release, the MP said that he “informed Gadkari ji that despite assurances of sending a concrete proposal for urgent development of the current stretch of National Highway 10 from Matigara to Darjeeling More into a 4-lane expressway, the local government has failed to do so”.
Saying that the local government is “not at all concerned about the well-being of the people here [Darjeeling]”, the MP requested the Union minister to get the “National Highway Authority of India to take back this stretch from West Bengal PWD-NH Division and do the necessary development of this stretch at the earliest”.
Further, the release said that Gadkari assured the MP that he will have the possibility looked into and take necessary steps to provide relief to the people.
Bista also sought updates on other projects including Darjeeling connecting Siliguri via Balason-Dhotrey-Ghoom; Kalimpong to Siliguri connecting Bagrakote-Gorubathan-Lava; and 4-lane Ring Road for Siliguri City – covering Matigara Haat, Fulbari, Salugara, Debidanga, Darjeeling More and back to Matigara Haat.
The MP reiterating his commitment to providing better roads and infrastructure said, “I once again request all the stakeholders irrespective of theirs party lines to kindly cooperate so that together we can transform our place for the better.”
- Watch: Meghalaya children fall sick after eating ice cream
- Develop ALGs to start fixed-wing flight services in Arunachal: CM to Centre
- Tokyo logs record 5,042 new COVID-19 cases as infections surge amid Olympic Games
- Arunachal: Centre okays memorial for jawan who killed 79 Chinese soldiers in 1962 war
- Assam Gorkhas won’t be tried and prosecuted under the Citizenship Act
- Nagaland Assembly concerned over school ‘occupied’ by Assam Police 14 yrs ago