Guwahati: Meghalaya was recognised as the ‘favourite emerging destination in India’ at the ‘Conde Nast Traveller India Readers’ Award 2019 held in ITC Maurya Delhi.
Speaking with EastMojo, Meghalaya tourism officer Ava Sheeren Sangma said, “Meghalaya has immense potential in terms of tourism. We have diversities in terms of festival, culture and even destinations in the whole of Northeast region.”
According to Sangma, the state received the same award in 2017.
Owing to its magnificent tourism hot spots, Meghalaya has been witnessing massive inflow of both International and domestic tourists in the past ten years. Reports suggest that there has been a rise of tourist footfall by as much as 80%.
“The cleanest village in the whole of Asia in Mawlynnong, Cherrapunjee receives the highest rainfall in the world. The landscape and waterfalls and the lush scenic greenery, are a few sights to behold. It is truly mesmerising Meghalaya,” Sangma added.
Conde Nast Traveller’s ‘Readers’ Travel Awards’ are considered to be one of the most important awards in the travel industry, celebrating the best places, movers and fixers on the planet — from far-flung wilderness retreats and close-to-home urban hotels to Mediterranean villa specialists and destination spas in Asia.
- BJP MLA writes to Nadda, demands separation of Darjeeling from Bengal
- Centre to appoint CS with working knowledge of Mizo language: Zoramthanga
- Repeal AFSPA, deliver justice: Kohima residents take to streets
- AFSPA misused, should be repealed: Arunachal Congress MLA Ering
- India talks ‘unprovoked’ aggression by China along border at ‘2+2’ with Russia
- Teaser of Puneeth Rajkumar’s dream project ‘Gandhada Gudi’ released