Shillong: Meghalaya MP Agatha Sangma tied the knot with Patrick R Marak in Tura on Thursday. Chief minister Conrad K Sangma kept his Twitter account posted with pictures of his sister getting married.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also congratulated the couple by sending out a tweet.
“Congratulations to Agatha and Patrick. Best wishes to the newly-weds. Congratulations also to your family on this happy and special occasion. My friend, the late PA Sangma, would have been delighted,” Modi said in response to a post by made CM Sangma.
Several political leaders such as Assam minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio, besides former Indian footballer Bhaichung Bhutia, were present on the occasion.
The three-time MP from Tura and also the youngest daughter of former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma was engaged to Dr Patrick Marak on September 14. Marak is serving at the North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences in Shillong. He passed out of Manipur’s Regional Institute of Medical Sciences in Imphal, Manipur.
In an emotional tweet, CM Sangma said: “Here comes our bride! It is an extremely emotional moment to see our sister walking down the aisle today. Our Papa would be so proud.”
The CM also visited his father’s grave, seeking blessings, before Agatha exchanged her wedding vows with Marak.
- 3 feared dead as Myanmar army truck runs down protesters
- Japan’s military, among world’s strongest, looks to build
- Nagaland killings: RRAG calls for immediate arrest of accused personnel
- Tribal body revises death toll in Nagaland firing to 14
- Hornbill Festival stopped for a day as Nagaland mourns civilian killings
- Mahaparinirvan Diwas 2021: President, PM pay tribute to Dr BR Ambedkar