Guwahati: In a tragic road mishap, eight persons of a marriage party died on the spot after the car they were travelling in rammed into a stationary truck beside National Highway 15 at Gelabil area of Assam’s Udalguri district on Tuesday night.
As per sources, the tragedy happened when the youths hailing from Sonitpur district were returning home after attending a friend’s wedding at Baihata Chariali in Udalguri district.
The Maruti Ertiga bearing registration number AS-12-V-9333 in which they were travelling lost control and rammed into a parked truck on NH 15 in Gelabil locality of Udalguri, said sources.
According to reports, locals rushed to the spot after hearing a loud sound, but they could not drag out the victims as the vehicle was badly damaged.
Although they immediately contacted the local police station for help, the victims succumbed to their injuries much before an ambulance reached the spot.
The deceased youths were identified as as Diganta Saikia (Tezpur, Mission Chariali), Rinku Saikia (Tezpur, Milanpur), Ranjit Deka (Tezpur, Thelamara), Partha Puri (Natun Para Bylane, Tezpur), Narayan Das (Tezpur, Durigaon), Tinku Bora, (Tezpur, Milanpur) and Kamal Dev Nath (Tezpur, Parua).
Meanwhile, Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal has expressed his condolences to the bereaved family members of the victims.
- Naga Students’ Federation condemn Athuan Abonmai’s murder
- Nagaland gets first child-friendly court at Wokha
- What’s all the hype around Garena Free Fire Max about?
- Yemeni officials: Clashes over key city kill 130 fighters
- Top Assam Maoist Tingraj Orang surrenders
- Centre extends nationwide COVID-19 containment measures till Oct 31