Diphu: Veteran Congress leader from Karbi Anglong and former state education minister, Rupon Sing Ronghang (71), passed away at Diphu civil hospital around 11.30 pm on Sunday.
Born in 1948, Ronghang, the eldest son of Khoysing Ronghang and late Kaphui Teronpi, completed his Master’s degree from Gauhati University and later pursued his LLB.
Ronghang was in government service and also worked for the Coffee Board as Liaison Officer. However, he resigned from the post later. He was also associated with various social organisations and served as president of the Karbi Anglong & North Cachar Hills Autonomous State Demand Committee (KANCHASDCOM).
Ronghang started his journey in politics by joining the Congress party in 1999. In 2001, he won the assembly election from Baithalangso seat on a Congress ticket. Later, he became minister of state for education in the Tarun Gogoi-led government.
Meanwhile, condolences started pouring from all sections of society to the bereaved families. Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council chief executive member Tuliram Ronghang offered his condolences and said that he was an influential leader of his time.
Meanwhile, Karbi Anglong District Congress Committee held a condolence meet to pay tributes to the veteran leader at its headquarters in Diphu. Bokajan Block Congress Committee also held a condolence meeting at its office in which block Congress president Sarsing Engti and others were present.
The veteran Congress leader will be cremated on Tuesday.
- Assam: 74 rare tortoises seized from Silchar-Sealdah train, 2 arrested
- Internet ban in Manipur again? Check details here
- Nagaland: Church condemns PM’s call for cleanliness drive on Sunday
- Ukhrul: Journalists boycott 24 AR over ‘harassment’ of reporter
- Mizoram: Serchhip district celebrates silver jubilee amid HIV, drug abuse concerns
- Tripura HC dismisses one of ‘10,323’ teachers’ plea, fines petitioner