Guwahati: Prominent Assamese actor of yesteryear Biju Phukan will get a rich tribute at the 50th edition of International Film Festival of India (IIFI) 2019 to be held in Goa from November 20 to 28.
As per reports, on the second day of the eight-day international film festival, National Award-winning Assamese film Aparoopa, starring Phukan and directed by eminent Assamese filmmaker Jahnu Barua, will be screened before attendees of the film festival as a tribute to the veteran actor from Assam.
This was officially announced by the Central government in a meeting with organisers of IFFI 2019 held at the national capital recently.
Having acted in over 80 films, including some Bengali ones, from the 1970s to the 1990s, Phukan passed away at the age of 71 years following a cardiac arrest on November 22, 2018, after suffering from a prolonged illness.
Making his debut in the Assamese film industry with Dr Bezbaruah in 1970, the last film Phukan acted in was Door that was released in 2016. His first role as the lead actor in the film industry was Baruar Songshar followed by Aranya (1971) that established him as a hero in Assamese films. Aranya was awarded with the best regional film at the National Film Awards held in the same year.
This year is IFFI 2019 is scheduled to screen a total of 200 films from 76 countries across the globe. Along with that, 26 feature and 15 non-feature films in the Indian panorama section will be also screened during the eight-day-long film festival.
- Nagaland: Konyak Union declares 7-day mourning, Mon bandh today
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for Dec 7
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for Dec 7
- Nagaland Police: Army made no attempt to ID civilians before Mon shooting
- Nagaland killings: Mizoram CM extends solidarity
- Mizoram reports 330 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death