Kokrajhar: The body of a 12-year old schoolboy who drowned in Gaurang river near Bhatarmari area of Assam’s Kokrajhar district after Children’s Day celebrations on Thursday evening was fished out by a team of rescuers on Friday.
As per sources, the boy — identified as Saneahu Rabha, a student of Class VI from BPCM Babyland English Medium School in Kokrajhar — along with some of his friends had gone to the river banks after attending a Children’s Day programme at his school on Thursday evening.
But the moment of merriment turned into tragedy after he drowned in the river while playing with his friends on the banks of Gaurang.
The incident drew attention only after the family of the deceased registered a missing complaint at a local police station as the boy didn’t reach home till late in the evening.
Interestingly, the police team who immediately jumped into action to trace the missing boy found a few of his belongings including a school bag, identity card and his school uniform on the river bank.
Suspecting that the boy might have drowned, a team of State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) accompanied by a team of Kokrajhar police conducted an overnight search operation on Thursday and successfully fished out his body on Friday morning.
- Japan confirms first case of new coronavirus variant
- No decision on nationwide NRC yet: Govt in Lok Sabha
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for November 30
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for November 30
- Nagaland health dept to public: Follow Covid SOP at Hornbill
- Prime accused among 13 arrested for lynching AASU leader in Assam