Guwahati: In a major breakthrough, a team of Assam Police nabbed a suspected National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) militant while he was allegedly trying to carry out an extortion drive at Panbari locality of Nalbari district on Wednesday evening.
The arrested NDFB rebel has been identified as Santosh Brahma, who hails from Saplekuch locality of lower Assam’s Nalbari district.
As per sources, a team of Assam Police, led by the officer-in-charge of Baganpara police outpost, Lalchandra Ali, after receiving inputs of a huge amount of extortion demand made by Brahma to a person from the locality, decided to lay a trap to nab him on the spot.
Later, the police arrested Brahma red-handed from Panbari area of Nalbari district.
However, Brahma came to know about the presence of security personnel and tried to flee from the spot by firing a few rounds at the police team.
Brahma, who was involved in several other extortion cases in the locality, was arrested previously and had also served a jail term.
- US occupation of Afghanistan prevented Afghan self-determination
- Nagaland Lottery September 27: Check Dear Ganga Morning lottery result
- Manipur: Ima Keithel re-opens after five months, tributes paid to those lost to Covid-19
- UAE-based Assamese businessman donates 2 ALS ambulances to AMC
- WWE Extreme Rules 2021: Roman Reigns’ reign continues
- Sikkim eases COVID-19 restrictions for tourists