Kohima: The newlywed couple whose photos and video had gone viral on social media for brandishing firearms at their wedding reception in Dimapur, Nagaland were arrested by the police on Wednesday morning.
They were, however, later released on police bail bond.
The police also arrested two others — Ato Sumi and Mughaho of GPRN/NSCN-NK — for allowing unauthorised display of firearms in contravention to ceasefire ground rules, said a press note released by Dimapur police on Wednesday.
The arrests came after the Nagaland Police took suo moto cognizance and subsequent verification regarding the case of the married couple posing with arms, which was widely circulated on social media.
According to reports, the newlyweds, identified as Aito Kiba, son of Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagaland-Unification (NSCN-U) leader Bohota Kiba, and his wife Tohuli were arrested for allegedly posing with AK-47 and M4 carbine.
The couple’s pictures had raged a storm on social media as they posed with sophisticated firearms at their wedding reception in Dimapur on Saturday.
- Mon killing: Nagaland govt to write to Centre to repeal AFSPA
- 59 years after ’62 war: Tawang thrives despite tension at China border
- Manipur: Drugs worth Rs 5 crore seized in Tengnoupal, 3 arrested
- Arunachal women conferred with ‘Inspiring Woman Award’
- Nagaland Lottery December 7: Check Dear Teesta Morning lottery result
- Mon killing: Nagaland government calls off Hornbill festival