Imphal: Host team Manipur on Friday clinched the title of the 65th National School Games U-14 Boys Football Championship in Imphal on Friday.
In the final match at Khuman Lampak stadium, Manipur defeated Jharkhand by 5-4 in a thrilling tie-breaker contest after a goalless draw during the regular time of the match.
Both Manipur and Jharkhand, which posted dominating wins during their respective semi-final matches, were playing neck-to-neck and remained goalless till the very end of the game resulting in a penalty shootout.
With this big win, Manipur has once again proved as the powerhouse of sports in the country and the state continued to strive to build a thriving football community.
Earlier in the semifinals, Manipur outclassed Uttar Pradesh by 4-1, wherein Jharkhand made it to the final by defeating West Bengal by 5-0.
The tournament which was organised by Directorate of Youth Affairs and Sports, government of Manipur under the supervision of School Games Federation of India (SGFI) at three venues in Imphal, saw participation from 32 football teams from states and schools across the country.
According to the organisers, the event aims to encourage maximum students’ participation and promote healthy and fierce competition.
- China says US diplomatic boycott violates Olympic spirit
- Sikkim government proposes creation of two more districts
- Mizoram to get bamboo link roads
- End of an era: Germany’s Merkel bows out after 16 years
- SKM blames ex-SDF legislators for Limboo-Tamang reservation failure
- 5 mistakes brands should avoid while finding influencers