Aizawl: The Reitlang Organic Producer Company Limited (ROPCO Ltd), an organic farming company established by turmeric growers of Reiek and adjoining villages near the capital Aizawl, had its first meeting of shareholders at Reiek Community Hall recently.
At the function, Mizoram agriculture minister C Lalrinsanga praised the efforts of ROPCO Ltd and remarked that its transformation from a farmer producer organisation (FPO) to a farmer producer company (FPC) is a big achievement for the farmers of Mizoram.
The minister pointed that the path to organic farming and getting an agricultural/ horticultural produce certified as organic is not an easy task but entails a lot of commitment from the growers. He highlighted the growing market for organic products across the world and said that if Mizoram can script an organic farming success story it could help the economy of Mizoram grow further.
ROPCO Ltd was initially set up by turmeric growers of Reiek about three years ago. In July this year, it was incorporated as a company. The company is solely managed by turmeric growers of Reiek and adjoining three other villages and has about 400 shareholders. The company launched two products — organic turmeric powder in polypacks and organic turmeric capsules.
- Bengal to soon conduct trials of COVID-19 booster shots
- Pakistan: Mob lynches Sri Lankan citizen over blasphemy
- WHO rushes team to S Africa to help combat new variant
- Meghalaya: 12 differently-abled beneficiaries receive assistive devices
- Nagaland: Rengma Nagas to go on hunger strike over demand for district
- Mizoram minister says MNF ‘anointed by God’ to face hard times