Agartala: The Tripura police have booked a man, identified as Abul Hussain, for giving an instant ‘triple talaq’ to his wife over a WhatsApp message from Saudi Arabia.
Speaking with EastMojo, North Tripura SP Bhanupada Chakraborty said that Hussain, currently residing in Saudi Arabia, had sent a Whatsapp message to his wife Salema Begum on September 27, writing ‘talaq’ three times to end the marriage.
A case was then registered on Wednesday by Begum, who lives in Jolaibari village of Kadamtala area in North Tripura district. “A text message with ‘talaq’ written three times was sent saying that he wanted to end the relationship with her. Hussain has been living in Saudi Arabia since 2015 after his marriage, where he works as a labourer,” said Chakraborty.
Also Read: Group clash in Tripura village, Sec 144 imposed, 3 arrested
The SP also said that the police have registered an FIR on Wednesday night against her husband and in-laws for giving her instant triple talaq over text message from Saudi Arabia and for domestic violence. “As per the complainant, Hussan also took Rs 45,000 from his in-laws soon after the marriage and went to Saudi Arabia for work,” the SP added.
The police have started investigating the matter but no arrests have been made so far.
Kadamtala police station officer-in-charge Krishnadhan Sarkar added that when the family members Hussain regarding the triple talaq, he accepted that he had sent the message.
“We have registered a case under Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019,” he said.
- Active Covid cases in country dip to 4,972
- For Manipur’s fencing hero Jetlee, Olympic is a destination, not a dream
- Nagaland: NSF issues ultimatum to nab culprits involved in Naga club vandalisation
- Mizoram: ZORO holds rally to express solidarity with Manipur tribals hit by violence
- A friendly pitch: How cricket found a home in Mizoram
- Manipur: Over 3,300 candidates appear for UPSC prelims in Imphal