Kokrajhar: In a shocking incident, a woman allegedly sold her two-and-a-half-year-old son to a couple hailing from Sarupeta in Assam’s Barpeta district for Rs 10,000, as she was facing financial hardships and was unable to pay for her ailing son’s treatment.
The incident took place at Sasargaon village under Raniganja police outpost along the bordering area of Kokrajhar and Dhubri districts of Assam.
According to reports, the woman’s husband, who hailed from Chaygaon Boko of Kamrup (rural) district, committed suicide about six months ago. He was not mentally stable, as per the woman.
After her husband’s death, the woman come back to her native place in Sasargaon and started to live with her mother and son.
However, her son soon started to keep unwell and had been reportedly suffering from some ailment or the other for the past two years. Facing financial hardships, the woman then decided to sell the child to a couple from Sarupeta. Accordingly, a “deal” was stuck for Rs 10,000, as per reports.
Eventually, the woman and her mother handed over the child to the couple in the third week of September.
“I had no other way but to sell my child. I got Rs 10,000 from the couple,” the woman added.
- Sikkim clears mandatory COVID-19 checking at border points
- Centre to set up steel stockyard in Tripura SEZ: Minister
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 25
- Assam cabinet approves Rs 209 cr to streamline revenue administration
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 25
- UPSC: Two candidates from Tripura clear final hurdle