Aizawl: Jeremy Lalrinnunga, a 16-year-old boy from Mizoram, has bagged a gold medal with a new record lift of 299 kg at the ongoing Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championship being held in Pyongyang, North Korea.
His record in the 67 kg weight category is: Snatch: 134 kg, Clean & Jerk: 165 kg.
The Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championship, where lifters aged between 15 and 20 years compete, is an important qualification event for Tokyo Olympics 2020. In this year’s championship, a total of 126 weightlifters — 53 women and 73 men — took part.
Jeremy surpassed his own record of 297 kg, which he achieved in Ningbo at the Asian Weightlifting Championship in April this year.
- ‘Freddy’: Run-of-the-mill thriller loses its sheen on small screen
- World Cup: what body type works best for football? A professor of biomechanics explains
- Use technology to make education accessible to children with disabilities: Prez Murmu
- SS Rajamouli bags best director award at New York Film Critics Circle for ‘RRR’
- AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal faces backlash over ‘Hindu marriage’ remark
- Using abusive words against PM Modi new normal for Congress: BJP