Guwahati: Assam Rifles slammed NSCN (K-Yung Aung) for attacking its Company Operating Base (COB) in Mon district, calling it “a major attempt to derail the ongoing Naga Peace Process that is in its final stages”.
On Sunday, militants of the banned outfit open fired at the 40 Assam Rifles COB at Chenloiso village under Mon district. An AR cadet sustained knee injury. All nearby COBs were informed and alerted about the incident.
A press release from PRO (Defence) Lt Col Sumit Sharma said: “The alert and agile troops of Assam Rifles retaliated immediately to thwart the attack. The insurgents ran away after coming under immediate and accurate fire from the Assam Rifles post. Extensive search and domination operations have been launched in the area”.
Also Read: Nagaland hosts its first handmade jewellery exhibition in Kohima
“The action of NSCN-K (YA) is a fallout of their desperation due to waning influence of violence in the State and apprehension of top leaders like SS Maj Gen Yanghang@ [alias] Mopa and SS Kilonser Imti Ao, thereby severely degrading the extortion and forced recruitment by the faction,” the statement read.
The Army Commander Eastern Command and GOC Spear Corps also lauded the troops for their alertness, quick response and resolve to ensure Peace and Stability in Nagaland, it informed.
- Why supply chain issues do not cause inflation
- Rahul ‘mismanaged’ Himanta episode in Assam: Azad in memoir
- Gods in the machine? Rise of AI may result in new religions
- Now, apply for jobs, give interviews while on tourist, business visa in US
- Major Himalayan rivers like Brahmaputra to see reduced flows as glaciers recede
- SC Collegium expresses concern over Centre withholding names of judges