Tinsukia: Five persons, including a woman and two children, died after a fire broke out at a residence at Thermal Niz Kadamoni in Assam’s Dibrugarh town in the intervening night of Friday and Saturday.
The deceased have been identified as Maya Devi (50), Vishal Sonar (19), Sibu Sonar (5), Sankar Sonar (3) — all belonging to one family, and their housemaid — Nunu.
According to sources, half a dozen fire tenders were pressed into service which took few hours to douse the fire.
Confirming the incident, Dibrugarh deputy commissioner Pallav Gopal Jha said that five persons, including four from the same family, died in the fire incident.
“As per police and eyewitness accounts, a gas cylinder blast led to the fire in which three houses were reduced to ashes. I am planning to have an inquiry to ascertain the exact nature of incident and look into all other aspects,” Jha added.
“As per reports, the houses were on encroachment land belonging to railways. However, district administration is waiting for circle office report to this effect,” said sources.
- BJP MP in Rajya Sabha makes case for Uniform Civil Code
- Assam: Opposition levels land grab allegation against CM’s wife, demands probe
- HM misled Parliament on Nagaland, claims Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury
- Reports: Myanmar troops burn alive 11 in retaliation attack
- Floral tributes paid to Rawat, others, mortal remains flown to New Delhi
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for Dec 9