Guwahati: As many as 30 constables from the Manipur Police Training College, Pangei have been hospitalised at JNIMS Hospital in Imphal on Thursday on complaints of uneasiness after consuming a local delicacy.
According to sources, the constables had purchased hawaijar (axone) — fermented Manipuri soybean — from a nearby shop on Wednesday night. After having the axone, the jawans started suffering from bouts of vomiting and diarrhoea on Thursday morning.
Variously known as akhuni, dzacie aakhone or axone, the food item is perhaps the most commonly used fermented product of Nagaland and the Northeastern region of India. It is prepared all year round from soyabeans by people of all tribes, but most notably the Sema tribe of southern Nagaland. It is considered to be a protein-rich legume in an otherwise traditionally protein-sparse diet.
At least 200 personnel from the academy had eaten the presumably tainted fermented soybean, however, only 30 of them fell ill.
This is a developing story. More details are awaited.
- ChatGPT is great. You’re just using it wrong
- British PM Rishi Sunak joined UK-India NSA meeting
- Govt hikes windfall tax on crude oil, export of diesel, ATF
- India ranks third in world ‘start-up’ ecosystem: Union minister
- Asia Cup likely to be moved out of Pakistan, venue to be finalised in March
- 3 lakh doses of intranasal Covid vax sent to hospitals: Bharat Biotech