Shillong: A member of the Hynniewtrep Youth Council’s (HYC) NEHU unit along with his roommate was thrashed by 10 miscreants inside the North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) hostel in Shillong, Meghalaya on Wednesday evening.
Two students were injured in the incident. While one of them, hailing from Assam, received head injuries, the other, hailing from the state, sustained minor injuries.
According to Enlang Sawian, the general secretary of HYC’s NEHU unit, 10 masked men entered the hostel threatening the guard and students. The men had sticks and rods in their hands and came with an intention to beat a member of the union.
“These men came looking for one of the boys from the HYC unit and had threatened him to leave the council. While aiming to beat the student his roommate came to his defence and instead became a victim of the attack. It was 11 pm when HYC got a call from NEHU students. As a unit, we condemn this kind of cowardly act. If they have any issue with us, they should come forward and address the issue and not to do a cowardly act. If such an act is carried out in the future, we can also resort to the same,” Sawian said.
The police were immediately informed after the attack and an FIR was also lodged at Mawlai police station.
Meanwhile, Sawian also met the SP on Thursday and was assured that strict action will be taken and investigation is underway. The CCTV footage of the campus has been retrieved and one of the vehicles used by the miscreants has been identified, said sources.
- Odisha crash: Coromandel Express entered loop line, hit goods train, suggests probe
- Tripura: Four convicted for bank manager’s murder get life in jail
- Assam: School timings changed in Kamrup Metro amid rising heat
- Odisha train tragedy: World leaders extend support to India, condole loss of lives
- Rescuers try to raise buried coach at triple rail crash site as death toll is 261
- Not on my watch: How boxer Sarita Devi saved her Kuki students from the mob