Guwahati: Assam boxer and four-time Asian medalist Shiva Thapa won gold in the 63-kg category of the 4th Elite Men’s National Boxing Championship held at Baddi in Himachal Pradesh.
The 25-year-old boxer from Guwahati staved off the challenge by defeating Services boxer Akash by a mark of 4-1 to win in the 63-kg category in the senior men’s boxing championships at Baddi University of Emerging Sciences and Technology in Himachal Pradesh.
Also Read: World championships: Assam boxers Jamuna Boro, Lovlina enter semis
Thapa stayed low against his tall and muscular opponent all through the game and confidently delivered his combination of blows.
Earlier in the month of July this year, Thapa created history by bagging India’s first gold medal at the VII Republic of Kazakhstan President’s Cup 2019 boxing tournament after getting a walkover against Zakir Safiullin in the finals held at Astana in Kazakhstan.
- Resilient gorillas reveal clues about overcoming childhood misfortune
- Dalai Lama congratulates Turkiye President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- Assam: Massive fire breaks out at Numaligarh refinery
- Meghalaya: Panel propose all-party stand on Roster system
- Guwahati: Panel to probe accident that killed 7 engineering students
- Tribal bodies demand President’s Rule in violence-hit Manipur