The deceased hailed from Bihar and is survived by her 6-year-old son, said reports Credit: EastMojo image

Shillong: A 24-year-old married woman allegedly committed suicide at her house in Umroi in Meghalaya’s Ri Bhoi district on Tuesday. Inquiries revealed that she took the extreme step after allegedly having a brawl with her husband.

The incident took place at one of the quarters of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research. The couple had been married for eight years. The deceased hailed from Bihar and is survived by her 6-year-old son, said reports.

While speaking with EastMojo, Mintu Kumar, husband of the deceased, said, “After supper, we both went off to sleep. In between, she woke up to put the kid to bed. I didn’t realise when I fell asleep and did not notice when she came back to bed. When I woke up to use the washroom at 2 am, I noticed that she had hung herself from the ceiling fan. I immediately brought her down, and tried to take her to the hospital. But till then, she was already dead.”

On asking if his wife was upset with anything, he said that she wasn’t upset, “just the ups and downs any normal husband and wife would face”. Kumar said that his wife wanted to go home for Durga Puja but they couldn’t do so since the child had to go to school.

Also Read: Meghalaya: Marty Friedman to perform at NH7 Weekender 2019

“We did have an argument and I just brushed her away. But later, I made up for it by booking the train tickets and we were to leave today morning. When I had told her that I had booked the tickets, she did not acknowledge. But I don’t know what was going on in her mind that she took this step,” he added.

Meanwhile, residents at the ICAR headquarters were surprised with the delay of the police to arrive at the site. Residents of the locality had gone to Umiam police station to inform about the case at 6 am. But due to unavailability of women constables at the Umiam police station, a team was summoned from Nongpoh. After over six hours, a cop from Nongpoh branch arrived at the site and started the investigation. Preliminary investigations reveal that there were a few bruises but can only be found out after the postmortem is done, said sources.

The father-in-law of the deceased said that he did not hear any noise as he was in deep sleep. He said that his daughter-law wished to go back to her hometown but she was not upset with anything.

Trending Stories

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment Cancel reply