Tinsukia: Security forces claimed to have killed an NSCN-R militant in a fierce gunbattle at Panchal Pahar, around 500 metres from Pancham village under Kharsang circle of Arunachal Pradesh’s Changlang district, on Saturday morning, and busted a camp recovering arms and ammunition.
The deceased has been identified as Gyatsom Harap, the son of the village headman of Panlom village in Changlang district.
A highly-placed source told EastMojo that based on specific inputs by military intelligence, an operation was launched by 9 Rajputana Rifles of the Indian Army on the intervening night of Friday and Saturday.
“The information was that a group of 10 militants led by outfit’s commander of Kharsang belt, Major Akham Chang, were camping near the village to collect extortion money,” the source said, adding: “The outfit has served extortion messages to most businessman and taxi operators in Kharsang and Miao circles.”
According to sources, a contact was established around 4.30 on Saturday morning. “A militant was killed while nine others managed to escape after a fierce gunbattle which lasted for almost two hours,” the sources said.
“Security forces have recovered an M4 A1 US- made (Colts) assault rifle, 78 live rounds of ammunition, 1 misfired and 5 fired rounds, 1 magazine, 1 pouch, 2 mobile phones, 1 knife with cover, 2 batteries, 1 torch, and other personal belongings,” another source added.
- Coffee doesn’t give you extra energy. Here’s what happens instead
- Expecting slowdown in Indian economy to 6.1 pc in 2023: IMF
- India condemns terror attack in Pakistan’s Peshawar city
- Scientists working to increase shelf life of millets-based products
- What to do if your kid is biting, hitting and kicking?
- Assam: GP Singh takes charge as DGP, pledges to make force citizen-centric