Kohima: Nagaland became the 33rd state/UT in the country to be ‘open defecation free (ODF)‘ for all urban areas, on Saturday.
Taking to Twitter, secretary to the ministry of housing and urban affairs, Durga Shanker Mishra, wrote “All urban areas of Nagaland are now ODF. It is 33rd State/UT getting this distinction. Heartiest congratulations!”
“I compliment the dedication & commitment of the people & ULBs of this beautiful State towards achieving this commendable feat,” he added.
This announcement comes days ahead of Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary on October 2.
Earlier, at the official launch of ‘Swachhata Hi Seva’ on September 11, minister for public health & engineering Jacob Zhimomi urged the department of urban development to work towards declaring the state of Nagaland as ‘open defecation free’ state at the earliest.
Meanwhile, in October last year, Nagaland became the 22nd state in the country and fourth in the Northeast to be declared ‘open defecation free’ for rural areas when Zhimomi declared the status for all 1,122 villages on the occasion of 149th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Why 40°C is bearable in a desert but lethal in the tropics
- After text messages on phone, extreme weather alerts on TV, radio soon
- Global study highlights importance of moss to Earth’s ecosystems
- Indian-origin man jailed for defrauding property buyers in UK
- With people speaking ‘their truth’, how do we know what the truth is?
- India does not believe in partnering in military alliances: Dy NSA Vikram Misri