Tinsukia: Two women died, while ten others were injured, after a speeding Innova ran over pedestrians at Rangagora Road in Tinsukia town on Saturday morning.
The deceased have been identified as Rita Gohain, 35, and Nirmali Baruah, 45.
Speaking with EastMojo, Tinsukia SP Shiladitya Chetia said, “According to reports, a speeding Innova car (AS03H 2223), moving from Borguri towards Thana Charali direction, knocked down pedestrians near Durgabari hall leaving two women dead and seven injured.”
“The driver of the vehicle, Gaurav Dey, also knocked down a traffic constable who tried to stop him,” Chetia said, adding: “The driver was assaulted by the angry people who gathered at the spot before being rescued by police.”
According to Chetia, three persons, including the traffic constable, sustained minor injuries. They were discharged after medical aid. “Six persons, including the driver, have been referred to Assam Medical College and Hospital in Dibrugarh. The condition of two persons has been reported to be critical,” he added.
“The police have seized the vehicle. A case will be registered and action will be taken as per law,” Chetia added.
According to sources, the vehicle had hit a bike and was fleeing when the incident took place. “Several people had gathered at Durgabari hall on the occasion of Mahalaya,” the sources said.
The injured have been identified as Abhinash Gohain, Ditimoni Gohain, Ritumoni Gohain, Sangita Devi, Palla Kumari, Prasenjit Majumdar, Lakshmi Saha and Basanta Changmai.
- Lakhs of crores of rupees donated to PM-CARES, where is that money, asks Mamata
- Assam: More DNLA cadre come overground after signing accord
- Assam CM to move Gauhati HC for judicial inquiry into Sipajhar violence
- Home-grown artisans showcase creativity at 2nd Nagaland handmade jewellery exhibition
- China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal
- RN Ravi paved his own exit: NSCN-IM reminds new interlocutor