Aizawl: The People’s Representation for Identity and Status of Mizoram (PRISM) and Mizo People’s Conference (MPC) have unanimously opposed the voting rights of Tripura Bru refugees in a joint meeting held on September 25.
The two parties stated that the Bru community left Mizoram on their own terms. They strongly condemned the Election Commission of India’s (ECI) constant favouritism towards the Bru refugees.
They also stated that they are supportive of the PIL filed by PRISM and that they shall soon carry out a signature campaign in this regard.
On July 30 this year, PRISM launched a signature campaign against the ECI over the voting rights of Bru refugees in Tripura.
PRISM party president Vanlalruata said that the ECI had declared the Bru community as ‘ordinary residents of Mizoram’ in September 2014, which was illegal as they alleged that the poll panel is not a competent authority.
- Khel Ratna: Neeraj Chopra, Ravi Dahiya, Lovlina Borgohain among 11 recommended
- 4 key issues to watch as world leaders prepare for Glasgow climate summit
- NATO’s Afghan mission hit by ‘mission creep’?
- 7 Bengal institutes in Centre’s knowledge exchange programme
- COVID-19 virus test results may vary based on time of day: Study
- Northeast got ‘step-motherly treatment’ under Congress: Sonowal