Tinsukia/Sivasagar: At least nine persons, including a girl, were killed and around 15 others injured in a head-on collision between two buses, police sources said on Monday.
The accident took place on National Highway 37 at Thowra under Demow police station in Assam’s Sivasagar district around 9 am on Monday.
The deceased have been identified as Hirnya Jyoti Chetia, adviser, Dhemaji unit of AASU, Dhemaji; Purna Kanta Sharma, employee of ITI, Tinsukia, Majuli; Subrata Bora, Chiringsapori, Dibrugarh; Saurav Sharma, Bhatiapara, Sivasagar; Biki Kalita, driver of Traveller vehicle, Saulkhowa, Dibrugarh; Binaya Baidya, Silapathar, Dhemaji; Naren Bharali, Demow. Two persons are yet to identified.
According to police sources, the injured persons are : Pradip Dehingia (50), Demow, Konwar Dehingia village; Bipul Tamuli (50), Jorhat, Kakojan; Ghanashyam Baruah (55), Betbari, Sukanpukhuri; Diganta Buragohain (50) Golaghat, Borpathar; Debashis Nath (30), Farkating; Rashmi Rekha Kachari (40), Darang; Islam Ahmed (22), Dibrugarh; Sikon (Handiman), Khowng; Nanda Baruah Borboruah, Dibrugarh.
Confirming the incident, Sivasagar SP Amitava Sinha said, “A bus and a Traveller collided head-on. So far, seven persons have died. We are checking for more casualties.”
The injured have been taken to Demow model hospital from where they were referred to Assam Medical College and Hospital in Dibrugarh.
Sources informed EastMojo that the bus, bearing registration number AS05C 5999, was bound for Dibrugarh while the other vehicle, bearing registration number AS23BC 6878, was bound for Jorhat.
This is a developing story.
- Assam NCC cadet clears SSB, to join IAF as flying officer
- Are you wearing the right mask to prevent contracting Covid-19?
- Manipur tribal leader’s murder: Video shows abduction in police presence; 14 cops suspended
- Arunachal: Single-day recoveries outnumber fresh COVID-19 cases
- BTS and Coldplay release highly-anticipated track ‘My Universe’
- Tripura: Two BSF jawans killed, one injured following scuffle