Guwahati: All the buzz of Hima Das still having a shot at participating in the World Athletics Championship 2019 has now been put to rest. The Athletics Federation of India (AFI) has now confirmed that the ‘sprint queen’ will not compete due to back injury.
In a tweet on Wednesday, AFI said, “Unfortunately 400m athlete #HimaDas will not compete at the @iaaforg World Championships 2019 #Doha2019 due to back injury.”
Earlier, in the first list of entries to the World Championship in Doha, the federation left out Das’ name. However, speculations were on as there was a scope of suggesting her name on the last date on Monday.
Also Read: Fed up of govt apathy, Assam locals protest by ‘fishing’ on road
The AFI finally confirmed only on Wednesday that the world junior champion will not be participating in Doha.
On September 9, the 19-year-old was named among seven women, for 4x400m relay and 4x400m mixed relay races at the World Championships 2019 in Doha. This news led to the confusion, which was finally cleared by the AFI on Wednesday.
In the month of July, Das won five gold medals in 19 days reaping in heaps of praises. However, Assam’s Dhing Express has been suffering this season due to back issues. In April this year, she pulled out of Asian Championships midway because of the recurring issues.
- Nagaland budget key highlights: Agri, power, culture, health, more
- Can we trust machines doing the news?
- Assam: Amritpal aide brought to Dibrugarh jail
- Greenhouse gas methane cools our planet even as it heats: Study
- Nagaland govt not prepared to fight people: CM on ULB polls
- Faith and superstition: A journey via the eyes of the poor in Panisokori