Guwahati: Reacting to reports of violence during a Muharram procession in Assam’s Dibrugarh town on Tuesday, the state police department has issued an alert over a fake image of a man with a loaded gun doing the rounds of social media and news reports by a section of the media.
Taking to Twitter, the state police department has clarified that the picture is “unverified” and “not from Dibrugarh”. The police also appealed everyone to not spread rumour and “misguide without verification”.
Incidentally, several media reports and social media posts claimed that the picture was clicked at the Muharram procession in Dibrugarh that turned ugly after some of the participants resorted to vandalism of at least two vehicles parked beside a road in middle of the town.
Earlier on Wednesday, Dibrugarh Poice arrested two persons in this connection. The duo were arrested after videos and photos of them damaging a few parked vehicles on the road amidst the Tazia procession created much uproar on social media.
While Furkan Hussain, a resident of Mirgabag locality, was arrested on Wednesday night, Javed Akhtar Khan alias Azad Khan of Panchali locality was arrested on Thursday morning.
- Eyeing KIYG gold, Arunachal lifter Markio Tario sets priorities right
- Bengal Cabinet OKs scholarship scheme for OBC students
- Mizo National Front slams Centre’s move to implement UCC
- A story of two mothers from a human-elephant conflict zone in Assam
- Meghalaya 2023: Lyngdoh sisters from Shillong file nominations
- India’s budget will be ray of hope for world: PM Modi