Tinsukia: A seven-year-old girl, with her private parts ruptured by a sharp object and her neck slit, was found lying in a pool of blood in a paddy field. The incident happened around 200 metres from her residence in Monjuli village under Dhekiajuli circle of Assam’s Sonitpur district on Thursday night.
Speaking with EastMojo, Sonitpur superintendent of police Kumar Sanjit Krishna said, “Prima facie, it does not seem to be a case of rape. However, we shall wait for post-mortem report for confirmation.”
“The girl has been murdered by cutting her throat. Her private parts have been ruptured by inserting a sharp object,” Krishna added.
According to Krishna, the victim’s father, Rajib Minj, an alcoholic, is the prime suspect. “We have taken him into detention for questioning,” he said.
As per additional SP Numul Mahato, the police have taken the body into custody and sent it for post-mortem. “Once the inquest report is out, things will be clear,” he said.
According to police sources, the victim’s father is a daily-wage worker and they suspect him to be behind the murder. “The victim used to stay with her father and her eight-year-old brother, who is in complete shock,” the source added.
- Watch: Meghalaya children fall sick after eating ice cream
- Develop ALGs to start fixed-wing flight services in Arunachal: CM to Centre
- Tokyo logs record 5,042 new COVID-19 cases as infections surge amid Olympic Games
- Arunachal: Centre okays memorial for jawan who killed 79 Chinese soldiers in 1962 war
- Assam Gorkhas won’t be tried and prosecuted under the Citizenship Act
- Nagaland Assembly concerned over school ‘occupied’ by Assam Police 14 yrs ago