On Sunday, two scooter-borne armed youths opened fire at the accused, Dhanashyam Heisnam alias Lalboy, near his residence in Manipur’s Bishnupur district Credit: Representational image

Imphal: Manipur’s banned outfit United National Liberation Front (UNLF) on Monday claimed responsibility for the killing of rape accused Dhanashyam Heisnam alias Lalboy on Sunday evening in Bishnupur district.

“The incident which occurred on Sunday evening at Thanga Heisnam Leikai was in connection with the Thanga gang rape case of February 13, 2018, in which an innocent 14-year-girl was brutally raped and later tried to kill the victim. Thereby, UNLF set this exemplary action as punishment to the rape accused,” said UNLF in a press release.

As per reports, the incident happened when two scooter-borne armed youths opened fire at the deceased, Heisnam, 23, when he was at a kiosk near his residence at Thanga Heisnam Leikai.

With bullet injuries on his head, chest and right calf, Heisnam was rushed to the hospital in nearby Moirang. Later, he was brought to Imphal but succumbed to his injuries.

Heisnam, who was charged in connection with the rape and attempted murder of a girl in 2018, was on bail for the past one month after he was lodged at Sajiwa Jail in Imphal East, it said.

Also Read: Manipur man toiled for 17 years to bring dying forest back to life

According to a release, before the incident happened, the accused, Heisnam, threatened the girl by sending an edited nude picture of the girl, who was then studying in Class IX. He further threatened the girl saying that the edited picture of hers will be made viral in the public domain if she does not accept his proposal.

“Since the girl did not entertain his proposal, the girl was kidnapped from her house on a fateful evening with the help of four other co-accused, who all happened to be his relatives. They are Heisnam Hopping, Heisnam Bungo, Heisnam Bidyananda and Heisnam Arunkumar,” the release said.

As per reports, after raping her, the culprits left the girl at the place thinking that she dead. However, when the girl gained consciousness, she found herself alone at the place with no clothes. Later, around 10.30 pm she took help from people living near the site and reunited with her family.

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment