Tinsukia: Around ten men armed with knives barged into a local’s residence in Assam’s Lakhimpur district, injuring the owner, before decamping with cash and gold jewellery collectively worth over Rs 9 lakh.
The injured, Arun Kumar Dutta, has been admitted to a hospital where he is undergoing treatment, sources said.
According to sources, the incident took place at the residence of Dutta in Chinatolia under Lilabari police station. “Few dacoits from the group entered the residence on the intervening night of Wednesday and Thursday and looted cash and jewellery,” sources said.
“The owner woke up due to a noise only to find a group of dacoits inside his house. He tried to stop them from taking away his hard-earned money,” sources said, adding, “The dacoits stabbed Dutta with a sharp weapon, before fleeing.”
According to sources, the police have filed a case and are investigating the matter. “However, they failed to make any breakthrough till the time of filing this news reports,” sources claimed.
Multiple attempts to speak to the Lakhimpur superintendent of police HK Nath turned futile. At first, Nath took the call made by EastMojo, but disconnected it shortly saying he is on his way to the spot. A call made a couple of hours later and WhatsApp messages sent to him failed to attract any response.
EastMojo also attempted to speak to additional SP Pranob Pegu as well. However, he refused to give any details.
- Khel Ratna: Neeraj Chopra, Ravi Dahiya, Lovlina Borgohain among 11 recommended
- 4 key issues to watch as world leaders prepare for Glasgow climate summit
- NATO’s Afghan mission hit by ‘mission creep’?
- 7 Bengal institutes in Centre’s knowledge exchange programme
- COVID-19 virus test results may vary based on time of day: Study
- Northeast got ‘step-motherly treatment’ under Congress: Sonowal