Tinsukia: A man, who had allegedly set his wife on fire in Assam’s Tinsukia district on Wednesday night, was arrested from neighbouring Dibrugarh town on Thursday.
The woman was identified as Dimpy Konwar (23), who succumbed to severe burn injuries at Assam Medical College and Hospital in Dibrugarh on Thursday.
According to sources, the accused, Palash Gogoi (27), is a driver by profession. He allegedly sprinkled petrol on Konwar and set her on fire. They married almost four years ago and did not have any child. The incident took place at Morankari village under Bordubi police station.
Talking to EastMojo, Bordubi police station officer-in-charge Padmeswar Gogoi said, “Based on FIR, the police swung into action and arrested the accused who was hiding in Dibrugarh.”
“A case has been registered under section 498, 304 (B) of the Indian Penal Code,” he added.
“We are yet to interrogate the accused. As the investigation makes progress, we shall be able to ascertain the motive behind the murder and the series of events that took place,” the officer-in-charge added.
- Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Wishes, greetings and significance
- Vishwakarma Puja: Ancient marvels designed by the divine architect
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam
- Not an inch should be given to Assam: Meghalaya Opposition
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19