Aizawl: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of Chakma Autonomous District Council (CADC) on Tuesday staged a sit-in-demonstration in front of the council secretariat office protesting against the Chakma Autonomous District Council (Land & Revenues) Rules, 2019, a party sources said.
Protesters also burnt a copy of the rules during the protest where thousands of BJP members assembled.
The existing executive committee of CADC passed the CADC (Land & Revenue) Rules, 2019 on August 21 during the monsoon session of the Council. Apart from 17 members, all the seven BJP members voted against the rules.
The BJP alleged that the new rules is contradictory to the existing land and revenue rules and is a big threat to the permanent residents of the council.
The party said that there was no land lease and ceiling provision in the CADC Land Revenue & Settlement Act, 2002 under which the Autonomous Council’s lands are protected and acted as a safeguard to the Sixth Schedule areas of Autonomous Council.
It further alleged that the new rules has some provision which are against the interest of the residents of CADC. “The new rule is an attempt to snatch away the lands of common people,” the party said. Further, it demanded removal of land lease and ceiling provisions from the new rules.
It has also raised issue against the mass felling of Teak plantation of Rajmandal by the existing Executive Committee of CADC for allegedly exporting logs of teak to Bangladesh.
- Green bonds, SLBs, MDBs in focus at Guwahati G20 meet on sustainable finance
- Rare rocks for Lord Ram idol reach Ayodhya from Nepal
- Confiscate assets of officers operating illegal coke plants: Meghalaya HC
- ‘Immigrant’ row: Now, Sikkim health minister MK Sharma resigns
- ‘Pathaan’ raises Rs 667 crore gross worldwide box office earnings in eight days
- BJP using money from LIC, nationalised banks to benefit some leaders: Mamata