Aizawl: Mizoram is likely to host National Games in 2024, state sports minister Robert Romawia Royte said on Sunday.
Royte told EastMojo that a proposal to host the XXXXI National Games in 2024 was submitted by Mizoram chief minister Zoramthanga, who is now in the national capital, to Indian Olympic Association (IOA) secretary general Rajeev Mehta on Friday.
Mehta told the chief minister that Mizoram greatly deserves to host the national games as it is a football loving state, he said. “Mehta promised us to make massive effort to allow Mizoram host the national game, in collaboration with the Centre,” Royte said.
Zoramthanga was accompanied by Royte and state chief secretary Lalnunmawia Chuaungo.
Royte said that the hosting of National Games by Mizoram is long overdue as the state’s performance in various sports disciplines are excellent. “Once a decision to host National Games 2024 is made, great leap will happen in various sports disciplines,” he said.
He said officials of IOA will soon visit the state to study the feasibility.
Royte also appealed all sports loving states to support Mizoram to host National Games in 2024. He also thanked the chief minister for taking the initiative, which if materialised, will be a milestone in the history of Mizoram.
Mizoram is one of the most football loving states in the country. Indian football star Jeje Lalpekhlua also belongs to this state. The state has also produced many footballers who have carved out a niche in the national level.
- New Songs Sunday: PinkPantheress, Ankur Tewari, Jazmin Bean & some Christmas joy
- Pregnancy is a genetic battlefield: Conflicts of interest vs mom-dad genes
- Assam: Three civet cats rescued in Nagaon district
- HIV cases in Assam surge with 2,269 more testing positive since April
- What is a DAO? Different types of DAOs
- Meghalaya: ECC to stage protest as govt fails to frame action plan for coke plants