Aizawl: The third joint border conference between India and Bangladesh was held at the State Guest House in Aizawl, Mizoram on Thursday.
The meeting, convened by Mizoram home secretary Lalbiakzama discussed over 18 important subjects and addressed the common issues on border areas shared by the two neighbouring countries.
The deputy commissioners/ district magistrates and superintendents of police of Lunglei, Mamit and Lawngtlai districts of Mizoram, under secretary to the ministry of home affairs and other officials attended the joint meeting while the Bangladesh government was represented by delegates from Rangamati and Bandarban hill districts.
The previous joint conference between the two countries was held at Chittagong on November 25, 2015.
At the meeting on Thursday, the following 18 important subjects were discussed:
1. Cross-border illegal infiltration.
2. Prevention of illegal trespassing along the border and combating cross border crimes.
3. Prevention of smuggling of narcotic substances/drugs.
4. Establishment of deportation centre for illegal migrants/criminals.
5. Prevention of trafficking of women and children.
6. Checking of smuggling of forest products to Bangladesh via Karnafuli
7. Flash flood and maintaining the water level of Kaptai Dam, especially during monsoon season in order to avoid floods in the low-laying areas within Mizoram
8. Improvement in sharing of information and cooperation between district administration and police.
9. Border trade at Silsury, Marpara and Kawrpuichhuah.
10. Prevention of illegal cross-border trade.
11. Joint border survey of land along the border area.
12. Construction and repair of India-Bangladesh boundary pillars.
13. Border-fencing issue.
14. Joint patrolling by BSF and BGB in the area where there is no presence of BGB and IBB.
15. Ensuring mobile network of BOPs and CIO camps.
16. Identification of boats by flagging.
17. Establishment of BOPs along the border areas of Bandarban hill district.
18. Review on implementation of decision taken in previous joint conference with the contents of the agenda that was put on the table.