Imphal: Manipur’s top-seed shuttler Maisnam Meiraba Luwang on Sunday evening won the U-19 boys’ singles’ title at the 28th Yonex-Sunrise Smt Krishna Khaitan Memorial All India Junior Ranking Badminton Tournament held in Haryana. Organised under the aegis of Badminton Association of India (BAI), the tournament was held at Tau Devi Lal Stadium in Panchkula.
The 16-year-old Meiraba secured his fifth national-ranking title after knocking out Sathish Kumar from Tamil Nadu 21-12, 21-11 in the final.
Earlier in the day, Meiraba reached the final with a 21-17, 21-11 win over Rohan Gurbani in the semi-final.
According to his father, 51-year-old Maisnam Romesh Luwang, who is himself a coach with the Manipur sports department in Imphal, said that Meiraba started playing the game when he was just three years old.
Initially, Meiraba trained at the Khuman Lampak Indoor Stadium in Imphal. However, later, he shifted to the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy in Bengaluru.
Meiraba saw his first breakthrough when he bagged his first international medal at the U-10 title in Israel junior International in 2013 before becoming the national U-13 champion in sub-junior nationals at Cuttack, Odisha.
This year, the young shuttler also won the U-19 singles’ title at the White Night Russia International Open in St Petersburg, apart from claiming a bronze medal in BTY Junior International Challenge in Thailand.
In 2018, the Manipuri shuttler became the U-17 champion at the Khelo India Games after winning four titles in the all India U-19 ranking tournaments.
- 5 easy tried and tested one-pot meals to ‘Netflix and chill’ this weekend
- COVID in schools: How ventilation can help to combat spread of the virus
- Indo-Nepal joint military training exercise in Pithoragarh from Monday
- 2 Indian projects among 15 finalists for Prince William’s Earthshot Prize
- Gadkari gets Rs 4 lakh royalty per month from YouTube for lecture videos
- NIA arrests key conspirator in Manipur Rifles arms theft case