Guwahati: In a shocking incident, a woman beggar was raped after being attacked with sharp weapons in Goreswar of Assam’s Baksa district.
As per sources, the victim was lured on the pretext of giving a job by the accused, Robin Kalita, who works as a vendor at Rangiya Junction railway station. He later took her to his residence in Goreswar and raped her after assaulting her with sharp weapons. The victim, a mother of two girls, is said to be a native of Nalbari district in Assam.
The survivor earns her living by begging from passengers at Rangiya railway station.
Speaking about the incident, the victim revealed that the accused at first physically assaulted her with sharp weapons and then raped her twice at his residence.
“I haven’t met him earlier. Neither do I know where he is from. He brought me to his place from Rangiya railway station saying that he will provide me with some work. But later, he locked me up at his home and did all these to me,” she said.
However, the victim somehow managed to flee from the house of the accused. Later, locals spotted her severely injured and took her to the Suagpur police outpost in the locality.
Meanwhile, the local police, after hearing the victim’s statement, registered a case against the accused, carried out an investigation and successfully nabbed him from his residence.
The victim was shifted to Gauhati Medical College and Hospital in Guwahati for medical examination and is currently undergoing treatment there.
- Tripura 2023: 400 companies of central forces to be deployed for polls
- Union Minister Sonowal hosts ‘Me-Dam-Me-Phi’ festival
- Budget 2023: Highest-ever outlay of Rs 2.40 lakh crore for railways
- Assam: Heroin worth over Rs 3cr seized in Karbi Anglong, 3 held
- Tripura 2023: EC rejects CPI(M)’s complaint against BJP candidate
- Budget 2023: FM announces new savings scheme for women