Itanagar: Taka (Kabo) Tamut, the Everester who helped the Indian Air Force (IAF) in its rescue operations of the AN-32 aircraft that crashed in Arunachal Pradesh on June 3, was awarded with a gold medal by the government of Arunachal Pradesh on the occasion of the 73rd Independence Day in Itanagar on Thursday.
Along with Tamut, another mountaineer — Kishon Tekseng — who also helped the IAF in the rescue operations, was also awarded with a gold medal.
Tamut hails from Jomlo Mongku village in Siang district and Tekseng is from Simong village of Upper Siang. Tamut was one of the 15 members that undertook the 18-day mission to retrieve bodies of the 13 air warriors from the mishap site in Siang. Earlier, the 27-year-old made headlines by climbing Mt Everest in May last year.
Two villagers from Patum village of Siang district — Ongkengmang Mize and Talik Darung — who helped in locating the mortal remains of the air warriors, were also awarded with gold medals.
The state government also awarded commendation certificates to Ogung Tamut of Jomlo Mongku village in Siang district, Tanyi Tame of Hirong village in Shi Yomi district and Tako Pusang of Tagur village in Shi Yomi for their support in locating the mortal remains of AN-32 crash martyrs.
On June 3, an Antonov An-32 transport aircraft of the IAF, en route from Jorhat in Assam to Mechuka Advanced Landing Ground in Arunachal Pradesh lost contact with ground control about 33 minutes after takeoff. There were 13 people on board.
After a week-long search operation, the wreckage was found near Pari hills, close to Gatte village, in Arunachal Pradesh at an elevation of 12,000 feet.
- Arunachal: Granddaughter of Mahatma Gandhi visits Ziro
- Taylor Swift and the end of the Hollywood writers strike: A tale of two media narratives
- Former Congress MLA KT Rokhaw resigns, joins MNF ahead of elections
- Manipuri-English film promoting gender-neutral fashion to be screened in Mumbai
- Manipur: Delhi court prolongs NIA custody of accused for eight days
- Meghalaya: 2 boys from Garo Hills set to join Hyderabad FC Under-17 team