Guwahati: Assam filmmaker Rima Das bagged the ‘Best Indie Film’ honour for her Bulbul Can Sing film at the 2019 Indian Film Festival of Melbourne in Australia on Thursday.
The film had earlier won several accolades and screened in many national and international film festivals such as Berlin International Film Festival, Osaka Asian Film Festival and Edinburgh International Film Festival, among others.
The Assamese film, which was released in 2018, revolves around three teenagers who struggle to come to terms with their sexual identities. It was also nominated for Best Director Award.
Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan attended the event as the chief guest where Bulbul Can Sing was the opening night film of the film festival and the superstar was astonished after watching the film.
Also Read: Assam’s Harshit Nath shines in ‘Superstar Singer’, enters top 16
The 2019 Indian Film Festival of Melbourne, which started from August 8 to 15 in Melbourne, Australia, had several stars from Indian cinema such as Shah Rukh Khan, Vijay Sethupathi, Gayathrie Shankar, Tabu, Karan Johar, Arjun Kapoor, Sriram Raghavan, Rima Das and Zoya Akhtar in attendance.
The festival will screen over 60 films from all across India and the subcontinent in over 22 languages.
- Pact inked to train Nagaland school teachers on disaster management
- Three more people killed, 2 injured in fresh violence in Manipur
- Manipur’s Naga MLAs want status quo in Naga tribal areas
- Guwahati accident: No more digging across city, says district admin
- CBI forms SIT to probe Manipur violence, takes over probe
- How much more bloodshed to bring back normalcy in Manipur?: Actor Priyakanta Laishram