Guwahati: Two pilots were rescued after the Sukhoi Su-30 they were flying in crashed near the Indian Air Force (IAF) base in Tezpur in Assam’s Sonitpur district on Thursday evening.
According to reports, locals of Tezpur woke up to a loud noise around 8.15 pm. Unaware of what was happening, they rushed to the spot only to find that a Sukhoi Su-30 fighter plane had crashed near Milanpur in Tezpur.
The two pilots, however, managed to eject moments before the crash and are said to be safe.
Also Read: Music maestro Bhupen Hazarika, 2 others honoured with Bharat Ratna
“Today evening, a Su-30 aircraft on a routine training mission from Tezpur crashed in the local flying area. Both pilots ejected safely from the aircraft and have been rescued. A court of inquiry will ascertain cause of the accident,” said a defence PRO source.
The crash took place at Saikia Chuburi near Tezpur. The fighter aircraft took off from Salonibari Air Force Station in Sonitpur on a routine training mission from Tezpur.
Also Read: Meet Bipasha, Tripura’s first woman air traffic controller
- Nagaland observes World Tuberculosis Day
- TB to be eliminated by 2025: Manipur health minister Sapam Ranjan Singh
- India’s largest hydropower project to commence soon: Arunachal Dy CM
- Manipur: One PLA insurgent arrested in Bishnupur
- Does it matter what time I go to bed?
- Charred bodies of 3 Mizoram residents found inside Myanmar territory