Shillong: In yet another major crackdown, the Meghalaya police on Thursday arrested a Manipuri woman with heroin worth over Rs 74 lakh from the Madanrting area of Shillong.
With drug menace becoming one of the most rising issues in Meghalaya, this has been the second arrest in 10 days. Earlier, the state police arrested a Manipuri woman with heroin worth over Rs 1 crore.
The accused, who was arrested on Thursday, has been identified as Vansosiem, hailing from Saiden village in Manipur’s Churachandpur district. The Anti-Narcotic Task Force (ANTF) team of East Khasi Hills district raided the house of Vansosiem and seized 32 soap cases containing suspected heroin weighing 393.38 gm.
According to police officials, every effort is being made to curb drug menace and the supply chain of drugs from other states into Meghalaya. The police further said that they are not ruling out further arrests and probing the criminal conspiracy involved in bringing alleged contraband from Manipur to Shillong.
The Meghalaya police will now hold rented house owners and hotels responsible to see that drug peddling is not carried out from their premises.
- These must-have foods help you have a happy and healthy heart
- In a first, 3 cases of Delta plus variant reported in Mizoram
- Hilsa lovers rejoice as Bangladesh promises export of more fish
- Walkathon and Cyclothon to celebrate World Alzheimer’s Day in Guwahati
- World Rhino Day: Assam to burn 2,479 confiscated rhino horns
- Lake of No Return: India’s ‘Bermuda Triangle’ along Arunachal-Myanmar border