Babysana’s father performing her last rites in Imphal on Wednesday evening Credit: EastMojo image

Imphal: Fourteen-year-old Ningthoujam Babysana Chanu, who was mysteriously found dead at her school hostel dormitory on July 18, was laid to rest on Wednesday evening after a tribute ceremony was performed at Thangmeiband Athletic Union (THAU) ground in Imphal.

Despite the restrictions imposed under CrPC 144, a large number of people, including family and relatives, members of Meira Paibi, students, well-wishers and representatives of the joint action committee (JAC) that was formed to protest against the mysterious death of Babysana, took part in the mass rally and bid adieu to the student.

A huge number of people converged at the THAU ground in Imphal to pay their tribute to Babysana who was mysteriously found dead on July 18

After the body of Babysana brought out from the JNIMS morgue, a procession was taken out towards Standard Robarth Higher Secondary School hostel where some family members and JAC members paid floral tributes in her memory in a corner of the compound.

Also Read: Manipur: CBI to probe ‘mysterious’ death of 14-yr-old Babysana

Later, the body was taken to her residence at Thangmeiband Meisnam Leikai for the last time before heading back to THAU ground for the floral tribute ceremony.

Babysana was laid to rest at the residence of her father at Haraorou Tangkham in Sawombung in Imphal East.

On the other hand, the JAC, which was constituted against the mysterious death of Babysana, has vowed to continue their agitation until justice is delivered to the deceased.

“The incident happened on July 18. Since then, we have been agitating demanding justice for Babysana. So far, we have not received an autopsy [report] of her from RIMS and JNIMS. So, we will continue our agitation until our demands are fulfilled,” said Sabam Subhankar, a member of JAC.

Also Read: Manipur: 3, including 2 women, injured in bomb blast in Imphal

Since her suspicious death, the JAC along with various student bodies and CSOs are staging protests across the state demanding justice for the deceased student.

Besides, the state government’s assurance to hand over the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), home department had already formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to unearth the truth behind the death of the student.

So far, according to the report, the SIT has arrested the son of the school principal, Pheiroijam Robinson, 32, in connection with the death of Babysana and produced him in the court of district and session judge on Tuesday.

The police had earlier arrested two women wardens of the school during the course of its investigation and they are currently in judicial custody.

Trending Stories

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment Cancel reply