Imphal: A combined team of security personnel arrested an active member of the banned militant outfit, People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak-Red Army (PREPAK-RA), during a search operation in Manipur’s Imphal East district on Saturday.
“The arrested PREPAK-RA cadre has been identified as Leimapokpam Ibomcha Singh alias Leingakpa, 42, and son of late L Shamu Singh of Kiyamgei Khoirom Leikai of Imphal East district,” said Superintendent of Police (Narcotics and Affairs of Border) W Basu Singh.
Acting on reliable information about the presence of rebels of the banned militant outfit, the armed forces rushed to the Kongba Ayangpalli Road crossing near Manipur Rural Bank and arrested the outfit’s “corporal” in Imphal East district, said the release.
Upon the disclosure of the arrested outfit, series of searches were conducted at the foothills of Iribung Kalika, the release added.
A huge cache of arms and ammunition, including one AK-56 rifle along with a magazine, two 9mm pistols with four magazines, 43 live rounds of AK- 56 and seven live rounds of 9mm, were recovered during the operation on Saturday evening, the release said.
Later, a case was registered at Porompat police station and further investigation is on.
Earlier in July, the Indian Army also busted an undesignated hideout of the Naga insurgency group at Kekru Naga village in Manipur’s Tamenglong district. The raiding team had also recovered large quantities of arms and ammunition, uniforms and other warfare equipment of the outfit.
- Is brushing your teeth for two minutes enough? Here’s what the evidence says
- Khel Ratna: Neeraj Chopra, Ravi Dahiya, Lovlina Borgohain among 11 recommended
- 4 key issues to watch as world leaders prepare for Glasgow climate summit
- NATO’s Afghan mission hit by ‘mission creep’?
- 7 Bengal institutes in Centre’s knowledge exchange programme
- COVID-19 virus test results may vary based on time of day: Study