Imphal: Six-time world champion and Manipur boxer MC Mary Kom added another gold to her kitty by clinching the 51-kg women’s category at the 23rd President’s Cup in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia on Sunday.
The Olympic bronze medallist decimated her rival, Australia’s April Franks 5-0, the final bout.
Taking to Twitter after winning the gold, Mary Kom posted a video with the message: “Gold medal for me and for my country at #PresidentCup Indonesia. Winning means you’re willing to go longer,work harder & give more effort than anyone else.”
In May, the 36-year-old Indian won a gold at the India Open boxing tournament held in Guwahati, Assam. However, she skipped the Asian Championships held in Thailand as part of a larger plan to enhance her chances of Olympic qualification.
Mary Kom, who claimed her sixth world title last year in Delhi, will be looking to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in the World Championships in Yekaterinburg, Russia.
The 2019 World Boxing Championships for women will be held from September 7 to 21.
- Assam: More DNLA cadre come overground after signing accord
- Assam CM to move Gauhati HC for judicial inquiry into Sipajhar violence
- Home-grown artisans showcase creativity at 2nd Nagaland handmade jewellery exhibition
- China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal
- RN Ravi paved his own exit: NSCN-IM reminds new interlocutor
- Amazon Great Indian Festival 2021 dates announced. Check details