Shillong: Meghalaya Legislative Assembly Speaker Donkupar Roy passed away around 3.45 pm on Sunday. He was 64.
According to reports, Roy was undergoing treatment at the Medanta Hospital in Gurugram for some stomach-related problem since July 18. He breathed his last around 3.15 pm on Sunday.
Roy, a former CM of Meghalaya (2008-2009), was the president of United Democratic Party (UDP), a key partner in the National People’s Party (NPP)-led Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) government.
Roy as elected as the speaker of Meghalaya Legislative Assembly in March last year. A member of the Assembly since 1998, Roy represented Shella constituency in East Khasi Hills district for the seventh consecutive term.
Meghalaya CM Conrad K Sangma took to Twitter to offer his condolences:
- Two pilots injured as Army chopper crash lands in J&K
- APCC raises suspicion over Assam CM’s talks with NSCN(IM)
- International Day of Peace 2021: Why is it celebrated?
- Nagaland Lottery September 21: Check Dear Teesta Morning lottery result
- Nagaland ranks sixth in State Food Safety Index among small states
- Sonowal files RS nomination from Assam, likely to be elected unopposed